I am exhausted just thinking about this post LOL.
We arrived into Palma de Mallorca for our much anticipated haul out and re-rigging. The haul out was delayed by 1 day so we had to stay at a marina. We had confirmation from STP boatyard that we were scheduled for the haul out at 3:00 PM on the 30th.
We readied the boat and departed for STP. Upon arrival the staff were waiting for us with the lift. Shaun steered us in and we tied up while the fellows got the straps set for the lift. They raised us out of the water just enough for us to jump off the boat, then it was off to our spot. Luckily this time we had stairs instead of a ladder. This made life easier as we were up and down multiple times a day.
We noticed many huge yachts being worked on in the boat yard. It is amazing how much money was surrounding us.
|our neighbour s/v Bristolian|
Our first job to tackle was bottom repairs and bottom paint. We had to sand off the old paint and reapply. Shaun started with a 200 grit paper and soon realised it wasn't even denting it. He worked his way down to 120 without success so decided that perhaps it was time to seek a professionals opinion. Absolute Boat Finishing (http://www.absoluteboatcare.net/index.htm) was super helpful with this. Wayne and Simon popped by to let us know that our bottom was basically pretty messed up due to the fact the previous owners only added layers of paint instead of sanding off old paint and then re-applying. Our choice at this point was to hire Absolute to sand blast ($20,000 euro) or use a 40 grit paper down to the old primer, paint on a primer product called Primacon (it adheres to old primer and new primer), and then paint on the anti foul. We opted for our second choice.
During Absolutes visit to our boat with advice, Wayne took a look at our Starboard rudder (that we broke last year in Leros, Greece) and told us flat out that it was full of water. Shaun drilled 3 holes in the water just poured out. We had noticed weeping but did not expect that amount of water. We later found out that the fellow that made the new rudder had filled the injection sites with gel coat instead of repairing it properly with fibreglass...... What a pain in the ass!
Shaun taped the edge at the waterline, repair areas and through hulls so that we didn't scuff up our gel coat or damage any parts. As for the sanding part...... this is, was and will always be the crumbiest job. The dust is toxic so we had to wear respirators, double goggles, gloves, and Tyvek suits with hoods. It was sweaty, exhausting, and dirty work as the dust sneaks in everywhere. Of course a day after we arrived I came down with a terrible cold and was on light duty for a couple of days. Due to this it took us 4 days to sand down both hulls.
Next came the Primacon primer which was a fantastic product to work with. It went on nice and thick, smoothly and quickly. During this phase Shaun was prepping areas on the bottom (rudders and dagger boards) that needed fibreglass repairs. We knew that there were going to be spots that would have to be sanded, primed and anti fouled before splashing back in the water, so the fibre glass repairs would be finished then. Luckily, the plan was to be put in the sling overnight to finish these details.
The last phase was to apply anti foul paint. Anti fouling is tricky work. Due to its toxic nature it is necessary to wear Tyvek suits and eye protection. If it gets on the skin it is best to be removed quickly. There was also wind to contend with that made the paint in the tray dry quickly and clump so we had to work fast. I was able to apply 2-3 layers on the rudders and daggerboards as well so that they would be well protected.
|getting ready to sand the anti foul|
|before we started sanding|
|applying the Primacon|
|I got to use Absolutes lift to reach the higher bits. This was fun.|
|my work of art|
|my partner in crime|
Initially Shaun had contacted Pro-Rigging in July as they were recommended to us by RSB Rigging as they were booked solid. During the time from July to September Shaun had sent Rodrigo all of the information/pictures of our rigging in hopes that we could arrange for everything to be done in a timely matter when we were on the hard. Sadly, this did not happen. There were a couple of no shows and a delay with parts. It seems that the Pro-Rigging in Palma have too much work and have trouble attending to all their clients needs in a timely fashion. All in all it was a frustrating process that turned out great in the end. There were several times when we questioned our choice but are very glad that we had our work done with this company. The workmanship is exceptional.
|early "birthday party" with our Canadian friends on s/v Maple: from left to right: Jordan, Iris, and Ella|
|actual birthday gift opening|
|story/card made by Paige|
|new paint by number in progress|
|enlisting help from our friend Janet from s/v Maple to cut down hoses for the engine room|
|our mini Finike, Turkey reunion - from left to right: Darryl, Sandra, Jeff, Janet, and Shaun|
|Shaun replacing a seal|
|before shot of the dirty propeller|
|action shot of the scraping phase|
|final gleaming product|
|attached to boat ready to be used|
|shiny new boat|
|just before we splashed back into the water|
|crane lifting the mast into place|
|Pro-Rigging crew reattaching everything|
|shot of how the crane was holding the mast in place|